Date Published: 05/05/10
NDDC crisis deepens as banks shun contract financing
THE interal top-level crisis rocking the official interventionist agency
in Nigeria's main oil and gas region, appears to be taking a turn for the
worse.
AkanimoReports gathered that financial institutions in the country, are
currently avoiding project contracts of the Niger Delta Development
Commission (NDDC), as the internal bleeding within the commission worsens.
A concerned civil society organisation, South-South Elements Progressive
Union (SSEPU), on Wednesday in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital,
claimed that NDDC was down.
Mr. Joseph Ambakederimo, chair of the group told AkanimoReports that all
leading financial institutions in the country such as UBA, Union Bank,
First Bank, Oceanic Bank, Skye Bank, and First Inland Bank which were
previously funding NDDC contractors are no longer doing so.
According to Ambakederimo, ''banks have loss confidence in NDDC. As a
demonstration of this, they are no lnger giving Advance Payment Guarantees
(APG) to contractors handling NDDC projects''.
This latest revelation is coming on the heels of on-going clamour for
Acting President Goodluck Jonathan, to sack the board of the development
commission for alleged incompetence and corruption.
Thse pushing for the sack of the NDDC board are claiming that close to N50
billion has gone the drains in the past nine months due to graft. There
are also worrisome allegations of contract duplicatins, lop-sidedness in
the award of contracts, and ineptitude on the part of state
representatives in the commission.
The commission is equally being accused of not being able to key into the
post amnesty programme of the Federal Government.
Ahead of Acting President Jonathan's visit to Rivers State, the board of
the commission was locked in a prolonged meeting on Wednesday in a seeming
desperate bid to be on top of the agitation in the oil region for them to
go.
The board meeting was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but the absent of
the managing direstor stalled it.
Media handlers of the commission say the allegations being raised by those
against the board are of a political nature and as such, beyond their
brief for comments.
As Jonathan arrives Port Harcourt for an official visit, there were strong
indications some aggrieved youths would state public protest in a bid to
draw the acting president's attention to the alleged decay in the NDDC.
Already, a civil society group, Grassroots Initiative for Peace and
Democracy (GIPD), has pointed out that Niger Delta youths want government
to sack the board of the NDDC. ''They are prepared to use any means
necessary to press home their demand'', the group said.
To this end, a number of groups in the oil region, including the GIPD are
mobilising for a mass protest as the Acting President arrives Port
Harcourt.
Executive Director of the GIPD, Mr. Akinaka Richard, told AkanimoReports
on telephone on Wednesday: ''We want the board of NDDC dissolved because
of the outright display of incompetency, gross financial mismanagement,
fraudulent award of contracts against due process, and unwarranted
internall rift''.
Continuing, the group claimed that the board of the development agency as
presently constituted is incapable of freeing the oil region from acts of
insurgency. ''To avert some unpleasant developments, we are strongly of
the view that the best option for Jonathan is to sack the board as a bait
to buy peace'', the group added.
In the mean time, there is a heightened security activities in Port
Harcourt. More operatives of the armed security forces, Federal Road
Safety Commission and the secret police are all over the capital city.
Mrs. Rita Inoma-Abbey, a Superintendent of Police (SP) who is the
spokesperson of the Nigeria Police, Rivers state Command, said the
security agencies are on top of the situation, and accordingly counseled
trouble-makers against taking the law into their hands.
|