Date Published: 07/06/10
FG ‘ll rehabilitate N/Delta roads -Jonathan
President Goodluck Jonathan has reaffirmed that demands for the improvement of
the transportation networks in the Niger Delta region were genuine and
legitimate and would receive due consideration from the Federal Government.
The president who spoke in Abuja on tuesday, was responding to request made by
the south-south elders delegation in an address presented by former Foreign
Affairs Minister and current leader of the South-South Peoples Assembly, Chief
Mathew Mbu, said funds would be set aside in the 2011 federal budget for the
extension of the East-West Road from Akwa Ibom State to Calabar.
On other issues raised by the delegation, including increased support for the
resettlement of Nigerians displaced from the Bakassi Peninsula, federal support
for the development of Cross River tourism potentials, dredging of the Calabar
channel and refunds to the Cross River State government over the expenditure on
the maintenance of federal roads in the state, the president promised that the
requests would receive necessary attention from the Federal Government.
While thanking the delegation for the promise to support Vice-President Namadi
Sambo and himself, Jonathan said they would be encouraged by the backing of the
people of Cross River and other Nigerians to carry forward with the task of
setting the country firmly on the path of sustainable growth and rapid
development.
Chief Mbu had earlier said the delegation believed that the bold steps already
taken by President Jonathan were a reflection of his deep sense of purpose and
understanding of the problems of the country. |