Bookmark and Share

Date Published: 05/25/11

N3b missing from Kano pensions fund

advertisement
 

The sum of ₦3,099,383,704.73 deducted from Kano State government workers’ salary for the usual contributory pensions scheme is nowhere to be found in the state government’s accounts, the transition committee constituted by the governor-elect, Musa Kwankwaso, discovered Monday.

In a statement issued by Jaafar Jaafar, the spokesperson of the Office of the Kano State Governor-elect, said the amount which should have been remitted to the Pension Trust Fund, was not remitted despite the fact that it was deducted from public servants’ salaries.

The transition committee noted that there was no remission of the workers’ pensions to the pension funds from September 2010 to date. He revealed that the missing amount does not reflect in the cash balance of the state account.

“Obviously, there is deduction from their salaries but there is no corresponding remission to the pension fund,” he said.

Mr Jaafar revealed further that the transition committee also discovered that 1,495 pensioners “failed to turn up” shortly after verification and the subsequent defeat of the ruling All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) at the April 26 gubernatorial election. “This is a clear indication that some unscrupulous government officials created the ghost pensioners in the state,” he said.

The spokesman noted that the discovery was made from the official documents obtained from the Pension Trust Fund and the office of the State Accountant General, Danjuma Garko.

“Shekarau’s government has been beating chest for paying attention to workers’ welfare despite the fact that they are secretly fleecing them. This is a clear negation to their claims,” he said. Earlier, the same transition committee in its findings alleged that the outgoing ANPP administration incurred hotel bills of nearly N4 billion in the past eight years. Of this amount, the committee said N3 billion had already been paid to three hotels which operate in the state, while the government still owed them N805 million.

Meanwhile, the Senior Special Adviser on Media to governor Shekarau, Sule Yau Sule has refuted all the findings of the transition committee, saying it was an attempt to rubbish all the achievements of Mr Shekarau’s government in the last eight years.

“Everybody knows the intension of the incoming government; they are on a vengeance mission. The person who is issuing these statements has been practising journalism in the state; if all these allegations are true why is it that he has not reported it all this while he was practising? This is simply contradictory; we are not surprised; we expect even more from them. “You are talking about almost N3 billion they are alleging is missing. This a huge sum of money and the EFCC is there they have not said anything. It is just a political vendetta but I can assure you that at the end of the day, the people
of Kano will know the truth no matter how long.”

Courtesy 234Next

Dear Reader.
Pointblanknews.com appreciate your feedback/comments. However, we reserve the rights to block or delete inappropriate comments. Pointblanknews.com is not responsible and cannot be held liable to feedback and comments or any form of inaccuracies or impersonation.
Readers' Comments
 
Bookmark and Share
© Copyright of pointblanknews.com. All Rights Reserved.