Exclusive, Top Stories, Photo News, Articles & Opinions
Bookmark and Share

Date Published: 02/23/10

Editorial: Ojo Maduekwe's goofy explanation about the Saudi trip

advertisement

Last Sunday night news hit the airwaves that the so called  delegation mandated by the Federal Executive Council to see sick President Umaru Yar’Adua, was stranded at the Abuja international airport . These characters were expected to leave Abuja that night for Jeddah Saudi Arabia, but got stuck because they had no clearance from the Saudi aviation authorities. So with pocketful of foreign currency as estacode, luggage, and personal staff, the six jokers returned to their palatial homes at the Ministers Hill.

Then on Monday, Foreign Affairs Minister,  Ojo Maduekwe, who has never been a brilliant spokesman on any issue tried to explain the botched trip. It must be noted that this same minister moved a motion at FEC’s last meeting for the invocation of section 144, which would statutorily knock off Yar’Adua on health grounds. Maduekwe’ explanation concerning the trip, and the delegation’s mission in Jeddah, in our estimation, is simply silly and goofy to say the least.

It did not come as a surprise because members of the National Assembly, Governors, and   PDP top actors were denied access to the  terminally ill President. Nigerians have been inundated with lies from characters like Bukola Saraki. Just yesterday Nigeria’s Ambassador, Aminchi told AP he saw Yar’Adua on Saturday. Ofcourse, that’s another shameless lie. We have it on good authority that the only ones who have access are Turai, the ADC, and the Chief Security Officer. The trio decides what happens.

He said members of the delegation, who have abandoned their ministries, are not going to Saudi to see Yar’Adua but ‘to express our appreciation to the King for the excellent and genuine attention they have given the President…’ He went on to lamely attribute last Sunday’s drama at the airport to what he tagged ‘ normal issues of protocol’.  Maduekwe said since the request was made close to the weekend, the Saudi authorities could not process all necessary documentation for landing permit.

But the Charge D’Affaires at the Saudi Embassy, Jalal Almograby had a different story. According to him, visas for the trip were issued last Friday in 15 minutes sequel to a norte verballe from Maduekwe’s ministry. He debunked claims that his home Government has any hand in  the mystery surrounding Yar’Adua’s visitors privileges and the botched  trip. He maintained that all requests for visas had been given express attention since Yar’Adua is treated as a guest. He said ‘ if there is any restriction at all it has to be from the President’s personal physician or HIS FAMILY’

So questions for the not too brilliant  Maduekwe are: Is the King Yar’Adua’s personal physician, why are you going to thank him for an ‘excellent attention, How could ministers proceed to the airport without clearing protocol, how long does it take for a Presidential  jet to get a landing permit considering the King’s guest status of Yar’Adua, What happened to the Director of the Presidential fleet,  who is still holed up in Saudi, why do we need to burn very expensive aviation fuel, load your pockets with dollars, take along your personal staff just to say thank you to the King, why couldn’t the Acting President write a letter that would be delivered by Nigeria’s Ambassador in the Holy Land, why not a 2-man delegation, why put together pro and anti Yar’Adua ministers?

Issue is, the whole thing is a lie. What happened is, before the delegation got to the airport, there was no agreement between them and the almighty Turai Yar’Adua, and her cabinet. They were expected to clear the issue of access to the sick President before take off, which did not happen.  So the story changed from no landing permit, to ‘ we are going to thank the King’ do some shopping and return home.

We are of the view that government officials should stop wasting tax payers’ monies to Saudi under whatever guise. Even as we wish Yar’Adua a speedy recovery, and our hearts go out to the family in Katsina,  Turai and her gang should be left alone.

You got News for us, give us a tip at: newstip@pointblanknews.com. We treat them confidential as we investigate!
Bookmark and Share
© Copyright of pointblanknews.com. All Rights Reserved.