Date Published: 09/20/09
PRESS STATEMENT
Sunday, 20th September, 2009
ATIKU, BUHARI, ENAHORO, MORE STATESMEN CONFIRM PATICIPATION AT SUMMIT MANDELLA, RAWLINGS LISTED
Eminent statesmen in the country have continued to confirm participation at the forth coming National Summit on Democracy initiated to give birth to a broad platform that will pursue unlimited political reform in the country.
It will be recalled that the Mega Summit Secretariat said last week said that the historic Summit has been tentatively fixed to hold in Abuja between Tuesday, 6 th and Wednesday, 7 th of October.
The organizers on Sunday disclosed that feedbacks received last week from the Head of its National Secretariat, Olawale Okunniyi, who recently embarked on a national tour to consult with stakeholders on summit proposals show that Ninety Five eminent Nigerians, Forty Five political parties, Two hundred and seven civil society/sectoral platforms and Twelve associations of Nigerians in Diaspora have confirmed attendance at the summit, which promises to be the biggest independent political gathering since 2006 when the PRONACO Confab ended.
Addressing the press in Abuja on Sunday, Alhaji Hamisu San Turaki, Director of Media and Publicity of the group said both Alhaji Atiku Abubarkar and General Mohammadu Buhari were among the first statesmen to confirm their presence at the summit.
The two day confab is also billed to also have either Former President Nelson Mandella of South Africa or JJ Rawlings of Ghana in attendance. Both former African leaders are yet to confirm participation although they have been contacted by the MSM Secretariat to deliver keynote messages at the summit. Turaki said
According to San Turaki the confirmation of both Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and General Mohammadu Buhari last week is driven by a recent resolve by the two leaders that their best bet is to work within the proposed mega party, anchored by Mega Summit Movement so as to enrich the synergy with other prominent politicians from other geopolitical zones.
He also debunked a false media report that the MSM secretariat is presently controlled by civil society component of the movement. The Kano born Spokesperson of MSM said the claim is imaginary as the secretariat is currently being driven by seasoned politicians such as Engr Buba Galadima of The Buhari Organisation, Mallam Yinusa Tanko of National Conscience Party, Mr Sam Onimisi of Democratic Peoples’ Alliance, Mr Osita Okechukwu of ANPP, Sir Wale Okunniyi (HOS), National Reformation Party led by Chief Anthony Enahoro, Alhaji Hamisu San Turaki of Alliance for Democracy among others.
Signed
Oluwabori Obafemi
Media Assistant, MSM