The Federal Government will seek an extension of the state of emergency in
Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States to tackle the activities of the Boko Haram
militants, Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke, said.
Adoke said the decision was reached after a meeting of the National
Defence Council and the request would be sent to the national Assembly.
Those in attendance at the NDC meeting were the Chief of defense staff,
chiefs of Army, Airforce and Navy as well as the Inspector General of
Police, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice,
and the National Security Adviser.
This is the third time that the president would seek the extension of
state of emergency in the three states after the initial declaration of
state of emergency in those states.
At the end of the meeting which began at 11am monday money, the Attorney
General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke said it was dedicated to the
review of the state of emergency in the affected states.
“After of the state of Emergency in the affected states, government
decided that it would ask the National Assembly for extension of state of
emergency in the affected states” he said.
The Minister added that the request would be sent to the national Assembly
‘immediately’, though the House of Representatives is on recess.
It would be recalled that following the deteriorating state of security in
the three states of Adamawa, Yobe and Borno, President Goodluck Declared a
state of emergency in the three states on 14th May,2013.
Though the state of emergency had been extended two prior instances, Boko
Haram’s attack on some towns and Villages in the three affected states
have remained unrelenting, culminating in the occupation of some towns and
Villages by the terrorists group.
They group has attacked and occupied some towns and Villages in Borno and
Adamawa including Gwoza and Mubi, though Mubi which is in Adamawa state
has been recaptured by the Army with the help of vigilante groups