883
The death toll from the twin explosion which occurred in Abachari village,
Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State has risen from twenty to
twenty-one.
Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed
this to Channels Television.
Coordinator of the Agency in the North East, Bashir Galga said on Monday
that the victim died in the hospital. He added that other victims of the
attack are still recuperating in the hospital.
The agency had earlier reported that 20 people were killed and 48 others
were injured in the Saturday evening explosion.
The attack was on Sunday confirmed to Channels Television by Borno State
Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu. He noted that the injured persons were
rushed to Damboa General hospital while some others were conveyed to the
Teaching Hospital in Maiduguri.
The Commissioner of Police, however, said it is yet to be confirmed if the
attack was as a result of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) or a
rocket-propelled grenade.
“At about quarter to nine, yesterday night, a loud explosion was heard at
Abacahri village, along Damboa/Chibok road. The DPO mobilised with our men
from the SARS and civilian JTF to the scene and found twenty people dead
and 48 others injured.
“Some of the bodies were found chattered, indicating that the explosion
came from an explosive device,” Chukwu said.
The number of victims was on the high side as most of them were returning
from celebrating the Eid-el-Fitr holiday when the attackers struck.