Home Exclusive Presidency to Nigerians: Stop Attacking Organized Labour Over suspended strike

Presidency to Nigerians: Stop Attacking Organized Labour Over suspended strike

by Our Reporter
The Presidency has alerted Nigerians on the activities of those it
described as anarchists who are bent on causing social discontent among
law-abiding citizens sequel to the suspension of industrial action by
the organised labour.

Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media
and Publicity, gave the warning in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

The News Special Adviser of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nigerian
Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), had on Sept. 28,
announced the suspension of their planned nationwide rally to protest
increased in the pump price and electricity tariff.

The organised labour, who suspended the strike and rally after a
late-night meeting with a Federal Government team at the Presidential
Villa, Abuja, also resolved to review their decision within two weeks,
to monitor the implementation of their agreement with the government.

However, the presidential aide noted that some individuals and groups
were not comfortable with the organised labour’s position and hence had
been sponsoring and encouraging discord and anarchy, either for selfish
ends or as revenge for perceived injuries.

”Since Organised Labour toed the path of sense and sensibility last
week, seeing reason with the imperatives of fuel price adjustment, and
opening a further window of dialogue on the service based electricity
tariff, some groups of Nigerians have been dolorous, disgruntled, and
disconsolate,” he said.

Adesina said the people had apparently perfected plans to use the strike
by the labour unions as a smokescreen to unleash anarchy on the land,
fomenting mayhem and civil disobedience.

According to him, the plan blew up in their faces, and they have been in
severe pains since then, adding that they have launched a series of
tirades against organised labour.

He said: ”For some interest groups; their intention was to use the
umbrella of the strike to further their whimsical and pie-in-the-sky
dream of a revolution in the country. It went bust in their faces.

”For some others; Bitter-Enders, who have remained entrenched in
pre-2015 and 2019 elections mode, it was an opportunity to avenge the
2012 Occupy Nigeria protests, which they believe largely devalued the
government of the day, and led to its eventual ouster in 2015.

”The strike that was to have come up last week, they wanted to use as an
opportunity for a pound of flesh, which they calculated would weaken the
government so much, and influence the 2023 elections.

”For them, it was all about hankering for power, its trappings and
appurtenances. Nothing about the love of country. They have since then
been calling Organised Labour all sorts of names, claiming they deceived
Nigerians.

”The times in which we live-with severe security, economic and social
challenges-call for all hands to be on deck, and goodwill and support
for the government, as it strives to put the nation on an even keel. We
commend Organised Labour for putting the country first.”

The presidential aide, therefore, urged Nigerians to beware of those who
are bent on creating unnecessary tensions and anarchy in the country.

According to Adesina, the Buhari government is only interested in
engendering a better quality of life for the citizenry. (NAN)

You may also like