Home News Isaiah Olugbemi’s Murderer Sentenced for Life in US

Isaiah Olugbemi’s Murderer Sentenced for Life in US

by Our Reporter
By Oscar Okhifo
A 37-year-old American , Nicholas Giroux, has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Nigerian-American boxer, Isaiah Olugbemi in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
The sentence Isaiah Olugbemi’s Murderer Sentenced for Life in US handed down on Friday by Judge Richard Trunnell of the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court, following Giroux’s guilty plea to first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a crime of violence.
Olugbemi, 27, a rising star in amateur boxing and a father, was shot multiple times by Giroux on June 17, 2024, on Meadowmist Way in Odenton. Police found him with several gunshot wounds, and he later died at R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. An autopsy confirmed the death was a homicide by gunfire.
Surveillance footage captured Giroux approaching Olugbemi, shooting him repeatedly, and firing three additional rounds after he had fallen, before fleeing the scene. Investigators recovered 9mm cartridge casings at the location.
Authorities said Giroux had previously confronted Olugbemi and a neighbor two weeks earlier during a cookout, brandishing a handgun but not pointing it at anyone. Following the murder, Giroux confessed to authorities and led them to the firearm used in the crime.
Anne Colt Leitess, Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney, described the killing as “cruel and senseless,” highlighting Olugbemi’s potential in boxing.
“Mr. Olugbemi was a father and a rising star in amateur boxing. The callousness and lack of remorse on the part of this defendant is really disturbing. He deserves this sentence. And to the family and friends of Mr. Olugbemi, I hope that today provides some sense of justice for this terrible ordeal,” she said.
The case was prosecuted by Assistant State’s Attorney Carolynn Grammas, with homicide detectives from the Anne Arundel County Police Department leading the investigation.

You may also like