144
By Lizzy Chirkpi
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, weeks after he was sentenced in absentia to 75 years imprisonment over a N33.8 billion fraud linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed on Tuesday in Abuja that Mamman was apprehended around 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna State following an intensive intelligence and surveillance operation by the anti-graft agency.
According to Olukoyede, the former minister had been on the run since his conviction on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud.
“About 14 to 15 months down the line, we secured conviction on all 12 counts. But because the main defendant was not present, sentencing was shifted,” he said.
He explained that after the court handed down judgment on May 13, the EFCC intensified efforts to track down the former minister.
“I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kaduna. This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government to the fight against corruption,” Olukoyede stated.
The EFCC boss also revealed that two other suspects were arrested alongside Mamman for allegedly helping him evade arrest.
“We discovered that he was actually being protected all this while. We arrested two other Nigerians alongside him. They are under investigation,” he added.
Olukoyede said Mamman is currently in EFCC custody pending his transfer to a correctional facility in compliance with the court order.
Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo, who also addressed journalists, said the court had directed all security agencies to ensure the convicted former minister had no hiding place.
“The process of transmitting him to the correctional centre is ongoing. The Commission has not just arrested him; it has ensured the sentence is being executed,” Oyedepo said.
The EFCC further disclosed that investigations had been expanded to uncover more assets allegedly linked to the former minister, while warning that anyone found harbouring convicted persons would face prosecution.
Olukoyede also announced plans to tighten surveillance on high-profile corruption suspects undergoing trial to prevent future escape from justice.
“It is not in the interest of the country for someone under criminal prosecution to escape from jurisdiction. We are going to work with the courts and follow all legal processes to ensure defendants in corruption cases are placed under surveillance,” he said.

